[Python-Dev] Tests and unicode

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Oct 2 22:32:38 CEST 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I looked whether I could make the test suite pass again
> when compiled with --disable-unicode.
>
> One problem is that no Unicode escapes can be used since compiling
> the file raises ValueErrors for them. Such strings would have to
> be produced using unichr().

Yeah, I've bumped into this.

> Is this the right way? Or is disabling Unicode not supported any more?

I don't know.  More particularly, I don't know if anyone actually uses
a unicode-disabled build.  If noone does, we might as well rip the
code out.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable
  from irony.                                           -- Erik Naggum