[Python-Dev] s/hotshot/lsprof

Floris Bruynooghe fb102 at soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 17:45:03 CET 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 12:14:26PM +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Brett, hi Floris,
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 04:12:28PM -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Just  for everyone's FYI while we are talking about profilers, Floris
> > Bruynooghe (who I am cc'ing on this so he can contribute to the
> > conversation), for Google's Summer of Code, wrote a replacement for
> > 'profile' that uses Hotshot directly.  Thanks to his direct use of
> > Hotshot and rewrite of pstats it loads Hotshot data 30% faster and
> > also alleviates keeping 'profile' around and its slightly questionable
> > license.
>
> Thanks for the note!  30% faster than an incredibly long time is still
> quite long, but that's an improvment, I suppose.

It is indeed still a long time.  But is was more of a secondary aim
really.

>  However, this code is
> not ready yet.  For example the new loader gives wrong results in the
> presence of recursive function calls.

Afaik I did test recursive calls etc.  I must admit that I don't think
anyone else appart form me tested it, which is far from ideal and thus
it is bound to still have bugs.

Could you provide a test case for this?

Cheers
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom