[Python-Dev] str.dedent

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Nov 15 10:50:42 CET 2005

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> James Y Knight wrote:
>
>> ITYM you mean "If only python were lisp". (macros, or even reader  macros)
>
> No, I mean it would be more satisfying if there
> were a syntax for expressing multiline string
> literals that didn't force it to be at the left
> margin. The lack of such in such an otherwise
> indentation-savvy language seems a wart.

Wasn't there a PEP about this?  Yes, 295.  But that was rejected, I
presume[*] because it proposed changing all multi-string literals, a
plainly doomed idea (well, it would make *me* squeal, anyway).

Cheers,
mwh
(who finds the whole issue rather hard to care about)

[*] The reason for rejection isn't in the PEP, grumble.

--
  I would hereby duly point you at the website for the current pedal
  powered submarine world underwater speed record, except I've lost