[Python-Dev] Building Python with Visual C++ 2005 ExpressEdition

Tim Delaney tcdelaney at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 12 21:32:01 CET 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Using VS2005 for official builds would only be an option with the
> next major release (2.5), and I personally don't see that happening:
> AFAICT, it is not that much of a change as VS2003 was (i.e. for
> Python, nothing is gained AFAICT); also, I'm getting the impression
> that VS2005 has too many bugs (*) to be useful, so I recommend to
> skip that release completely, and go then to VS2006 (or whenever
> that is release).

With Microsoft changing the CRT all the time, I think I'd much prefer seeing
effort going towards MinGW becoming the official Windows build platform.
There was a considerable amount of angst with the 2.4 release that can be
blamed solely on the CRT change (and hence different DLLs to link to). And
with them deprecating ISO standard functions ...

Tim Delaney