[Python-Dev] Event loops, PyOS_InputHook, and Tkinter

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 10 02:04:43 CET 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
>
>> 2) Will Tkinter always be the standard toolkit for Python, or are
>> there plans to replace it at some point?
>

> Python does not evolve along a grand master plan. Instead, individual
> contributors propose specific modifications, e.g. through PEPs.

At this point, I can't propose a specific modification yet because I
don't know the reasoning that went behind the original choice of Tk as
the default GUI toolkit for Python (and hence, I don't know if those
reasons are still valid today). I can see one disadvantage (using Tk
limits our options to run an event loop for other Python extensions),
and I am trying to find out why Tk was deemed more appropriate than
other GUI toolkits anyway.

So let me rephrase the question: What is the advantage of Tk in
comparison to other GUI toolkits? Is it Mac availability? More advanced
widget set? Installation is easier? Portability? Switching to a
different GUI toolkit would break too much existing code? I think that
having the answer to this will stimulate further development of
alternative GUI toolkits, which may give some future Python version a
toolkit at least as good as Tk, and one that doesn't interfere with
Python's event loop capabilities.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics