[Python-Dev] Plea to distribute debugging lib

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 5 00:21:05 CET 2005

David Abrahams wrote:
>>I would go a step further than Tim: Send me (*) a patch to msi.py (which
>>is used to build the distribution) that picks up the files and packages
>>them in the desired way, and I will include the files it outputs
>>in the official distribution. This is how the libpython24.a got in
>>(and this is also the way in which it will get out again).
>

> Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but won't that cause the
> problem that Tim was worried about, i.e. a bloated Python installer?

Not if done properly: it would, of course, *not* add the desired
files in to the msi file, but create a separate file. It is pure
Python code, and called msi.py because that's it main function.
It does several other things, though (such as creating a .cab file
and a .a file); it could well create another zip file.

As to how it would work: preferably by invoking the Python zip
library, but invoking external programs to package up everything
might be acceptable as well (assuming I'm told what these tools
are, and assuming it falls back to doing nothing if the tools
are not available).

The separate file would have a name similar to the MSI file,
so that the debug file has the same version number as the MSI
file.

> I s'pose that means, "put it in the patches tracker."

Exactly.

Regards,
Martin