[Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Lib/distutils/command upload.py, 1.3, 1.4

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Mar 23 00:00:50 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 16:09, Jim Jewett wrote:
 > Why not?  I realize that version is more important for pre-compiled
 > extension modules, but it applies even to a pure python package.
 >
 > Source code that uses @decoration won't work in python 1.5

This is distinct from the version of Python used to build a distribution.
I've noted this as a metadata field that is needed, and plan to draft a PEP
to include this and a few others.

What I don't want is to conflate fields that should be separate, and end up
with crufty data in PyPI.  It's better to know that some data is missing than
to be wrong about it.

 > Defaulting to the version used to create the package isn't perfect,
 > and may sometimes be too conservative -- but as a default, is it
 > really worse than nothing?

Yes, because we can't tell the difference later.  For now, you can include
comments in the long description or on a project web page.  A proper field
will be added for this in the future (hopefully not too distant).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>