[Python-Dev] Re: No new features

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Mar 10 00:23:10 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005, Donovan Baarda wrote:

> major releases, ie 2.x -> 3.0, are for things that can break existing code.
> They change the API so that things that run on 2.x may not work with 3.x.
>
> minor releases, ie 2.2.x ->2.3.0, are for things that cannot break existing
> code. They can extend the API such that code for 2.3.x may not work on
> 2.2.x, but code that runs on 2.2.x must work on 2.3.x.
>
> micro releases, ie 2.2.1 ->2.2.2, are for bug fixes only. There can be no
> changes to the API, so that all code that runs on 2.2.2 should work with
> 2.2.1, barring the bugs fixed.
>
> The example you cited of adding bool was an extension to the API, and hence
> should have been a minor release, not a micro release.
>
> I just read the PEP-6, and it doesn't seem to use this terminology, or make
> this distinction... does something else do this anywhere? I thought this
> approach was common knowledge...

Functionally speaking, Python has only major releases and micro
releases.  We don't have the resources to support minor releases.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR