[Python-Dev] rationale for the no-new-features approach

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 9 16:13:27 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 07:17, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> So it's only fair that I write down my rationale for why I'm being anal
> about the no-new-features approach. Comments are more than welcome -
> ideally, after discussion, I'll put some more words in the bugfix PEP.

I applaud your strictness Anthony (I was going to use a different phrase
using some words from your original message, but then I thought better
of that. :).

I think we learned our lesson from the 2.2 True/False fiasco.

It's a natural instinct to want to get those new features in earlier
than the minor release lifecycle, but resisting that temptation
demonstrates our maturity as a community, IMO.  Having to wait for those
new features in the mainline Python releases is the cost of our
"batteries included" approach.  If the users of a package want a shorter
lifecycle, then the package maintainer will just have to make
independent releases, sync'ing up with Python development in the
latter's trunk.  I've had to do this occasionally with the email
package, for example.

-Barry