[Python-Dev] Migrating to subversion

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 7 14:57:11 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 14:16, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> I don't know whether anybody has done this before,
> but I just tried to run cvs2svn on the Python repository.
> The conversion took 7 hours, and the result is now
> available at
>
> http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/python/branches/
>
> Because of the load that the conversion produces on
> the machine, I cannot run the entire conversion every
> day. Reportedly, cvs2svn is able to run in incremental
> mode, but I haven't tried this out yet.

I personally have had no success doing this, but the last time I tried
was with a fairly old version of svn.

BTW, it looks like you just pulled in python/dist right?  Did you pull
in the trunk?  What about nondist, or as Greg mentioned, distutils which
is a sibling of the top-level python directory.

> - It has imported the CVSROOT directory as well. I don't
>    know whether this is deliberate/useful.

Almost certainly not useful.  Even the diff checkin messages are
generated with a much simpler script (owing largely to svn being
designed to make this kind of thing possible without disgusting hacks).

> Anyway, this  repository is now online for anonymous read-only
> access. Anybody interested in playing with it is welcome to
> do so.

> For those interested in server side issues: the repository
> is an 1.1.1 fsfs repository. The CVS repository consumes
> 368MiB; the SVN repository 797MiB.

Just curious - why did you choose fsfs instead of the BerkeleyDB
backend?

Thanks for doing this Martin.  I've heard that SF may be offering svn as
early as May or June and I would love to see us convert when that's
available.

-Barry