[Python-Dev] using pyhon from the MSYS shell

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 5 22:46:35 CEST 2005

lode leroy wrote:
> maybe someone could extend os.path to do this in the standard distribution:
> implement an msyspath.py, which calls ntpath for each function, and does a
> replace at the end of the evaluation.

The chances are good that nobody else will work on this - so it is
likely that it is either you who are doing this, or nobody else. Then,
when you eventually come up with a patch, somebody will tell you that
you partially erred, and that it should have been done in a different
way. Still, I think this might be the only way to come to a solution
that gets integrated with Python.

I'm personally in favour of supporting "MSYS" as a target system.
If you want to do it, I'm willing to review patches, but I'm not
willing to do them myself, as I don't use MSYS.

If you believe that MSYS is a target system in a way similar to
mingw32, and to cygwin, I believe it should get the same treatment
as mingw32 and cygwin. That means all places that currently deal
with either of these two systems should also deal with MSYS in
a similar way. What this means in actual code, I don't know.

OTOH, I already fail to follow you in the very first assumption:
why is it that you need to change os.sep on MSYS?

Regards,
Martin