[Python-Dev] 2.4 func.__name__ breakage

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Feb 17 11:51:35 CET 2005

Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> writes:

> Rev 2.66 of funcobject.c made func.__name__ writable for the first
> time.  That's great, but the patch also introduced what I'm pretty
> sure was an unintended incompatibility:  after 2.66, func.__name__ was
> no longer *readable* in restricted execution mode.

Yeah, my bad.

> I can't think of a good reason to restrict reading func.__name__,
> and it looks like this part of the change was an accident.  So,
> unless someone objects soon, I intend to restore that func.__name__
> is readable regardless of execution mode (but will continue to be
> unwritable in restricted execution mode).
>
> Objections?

Well, I fixed it on reading the bug report and before getting to
python-dev mail :) Sorry if this duplicated your work, but hey, it was
only a two line change...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste.
              -- Steve Jobs, (From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)