[Python-Dev] Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into Python core

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Feb 10 01:49:33 CET 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Exactly, the PEP does not reflect the reality of what anybody wants in
> the core.  It needs modification, or replacment.   Can I just do that?

My understanding is this: you can, and you should.

You are the author of the PEP (together with Paul Barrett), and the
PEP is still in Draft status (with a Python-Version of 2.2). Until
the PEP is Accepted or Rejected status, you can make any changes to
it that you want. It would be nice if you would track the Post-History
section, and perhaps a History section at the end, pointing out that
the PEP got completely restructured at some point.

> Or do I need permission from Barrett and others who has only a passing
> interest in this anymore.

According to PEP 1, you could ask Barrett for a complete takeover,
to remove him from the Authors list. If he agrees, there would be
no problem to change that list after so much time has passed.

> I think you misunderstood my meaning.  For example Numeric has lived 10
> years with very few changes.  It seems to me it is rather stable.

I probably misunderstand something. If Numeric has been stable for
10 years, why is not good (no need to answer here - an answer in the
PEP would be appreciated)? If there is something new to replace it,
how stable is that?

Regards,
Martin