[Python-Dev] a quit that actually quits

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Dec 29 05:40:24 CET 2005

Here's yet a different take on this: why not simply change the startup
message?  Whether we choose "quit" or "exit", someone will get it wrong
unless there's an alias.  Changing the message is free.  Currently we
have

Let's add another line that says

    Type "quit()" to exit

Defining it as "def quit(): raise SystemExit" should be fine.

"Given that C++ has pointers and typecasts, it's really hard to have a serious
conversation about type safety with a C++ programmer and keep a straight face.
It's kind of like having a guy who juggles chainsaws wearing body armor
arguing with a guy who juggles rubber chickens wearing a T-shirt about who's
in more danger."  --Roy Smith