[Python-Dev] Expose Subversion revision number to Python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Dec 17 22:24:17 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 17:11 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> It looks like using 'svnversion -c . | cut -f2 -d":"' would get the
> most-recent committed version, plus the letter "M" if there are local
> changes.  That sounds like what we should be using.
>
> That way, a build with local revisions would include "M", thus nicely
> addressing that issue as well.

I didn't know about svnversion, but that does seem like the right thing
to use.  One downside is that it can take a long time on a big tree, but
in my own limited testing, that doesn't seem like a practical concern
for the Python source checkout.

AFAICT, the reason to use -c is so that changes outside the Python
source tree (i.e. in the sandbox) won't show up in Python's build
number.  That's fine although I wouldn't mind leaving off the -c since
you'll still get the same snapshot of code from a revisioned checkout
either way, and that's my primary interest.

Because the 'M' can show up in the build number (and is useful
information), then I'll change the C API and sys attribute to be a
string instead of an int.

Other than that, it sounds like this is a generally acceptable change to
make to the build process, so I'll make the above modifications and
commit it.

Thanks everyone,
-Barry