[Python-Dev] PEP 8 updates/clarifications

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Thu Dec 15 01:13:23 CET 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I've pushed out a revised PEP 8
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html
>
> Please review and comment.  Thanks everyone for providing an excellent
> discussion.  Hopefully I have captured our current collective
> recommendations.  I've also tried to simplify the text, while making it
> (somewhat) more prescriptive.

The only thing I strongly disagree with is the promotion of javaNaming
to equal footing with python_naming.  We can look forward to future
programs that look like this:

class Something:

  def __init__(self, i_care):
     self.mem_a = pkga.uses_python_naming()
     self.mem_b = pkgb.usesJavaNaming()
     if i_care:
        self.this_looks(self.mem_b.reallyCrap())

It gets worse if you subclass from modules using different conventions
in your own code.  Ugly code.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au