[Python-Dev] ElementTree - Why not part of the core? (fwd)

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Dec 8 22:52:11 CET 2005

    Jim> I hope that packaging progress will someday make it matter much
    Jim> less whether something is in the standard library.

It undoubtedly will.  The point I was trying to raise here is that
ElementTree is so much better than the stuff we currently distribute (*)
that it should be included in the standard distribution if for no other
reason than to discourage use of the current stuff in new applications.

Here are a couple perhaps useful BDFL references:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-December/040928.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-April/034881.html

In the first, Guido tells a potential submitter to "do the math" to make
sure his package is "best of breed".  In the second Guido warns that having
code in the standard distribution tends to suppress usage of other packages,
even though they may be better:

  We can't put every approach in the core, but putting one package in
  the core may damage the viability of another, possibly better (for
  some users) solution.  To some extent this has happened with GUI
  toolkits: the presence of Tkinter in the core makes it harder for
  other GUI toolkits to compete (leaving aside whether Tkinter is
  better or not -- it's just not a level playing field).

I think that's sort of the reverse of the point I'm trying to make.  ET
belongs in the standard distribution to create a level playing field for a
module many people feel is superior to the current XML-related modules.
Think of it as Pythonic affirmative action. ;-)

Skip

(*) As in so much better that I was actually able to a) understand how to
use it and then b) actually use it in a real application.  With the DOM
stuff the barrier was always too high for me to ever want to solve real
problems with them.