[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Caching objects in memory

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 25 23:13:05 CEST 2005

Guido:

But for *immutable* objects (like numbers, strings and tuples) the
implementation is free to use caching. In practice, I believe ints
between -5 and 100 are cached, and 1-character strings are often
cached (but not always).

Hope this helps! I would think this is in the docs somewhere but
probably not in a place where one would ever think to look...

I am sure that the fact that immutables *may* be cached is in the ref
manual, but I have been under the impression that the private, *mutable*
specifics for CPython are intentionally omitted so that people will not
think of them as either fixed or as part of the language/library.

I have previously suggested that there be a separate doc for CPython
implementation details like this that some people want but which are not
part of the language or library definition.

Terry J. Reedy