[Python-Dev] Proper place to put extra args for building

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 23 00:14:44 CEST 2005

Brett C. wrote:
> Yep, you're right.  I initially thought that the parentheses meant it was a
> Makefile-only variable, but it actually goes to the environment for those
> unknown values.
>
> Before I check it in, though, should setup.py be tweaked to use it as well?  I
> say yes.

You means sysconfig.py, right? Probably yes.

This is a mess. distutils should just do what Makefile does for builtin
modules, i.e. use CFLAGS from the Makefile. Instead, it supports CFLAGS
as being additive to the Makefile value CFLAGS, which in turn it just
*knows* $(BASECFLAGS) $(OPT).

Regards,
Martin