[Python-Dev] marshal / unmarshal

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Apr 21 19:52:11 CEST 2005

Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> writes:

> What should marshal / unmarshal do with floating point NaNs (the case we
> are worrying about is Infinity) ?  The current behavior is not perfect.

So, after a fair bit of hacking, I think I have most of a solution to
this, in two patches:

   make float packing copy bytes when they can
   http://python.org/sf/1181301
   binary formats for marshalling floats
   http://python.org/sf/1180995

I'd like to check them both in pretty soon, but would really
appreciate a review, especially of the first one as it's gotten a
little hairy, mainly so I could then write some detailed tests.

That said, if there are no objections I'm going to check them in
anyway, so if they turn out to suck, it'll be YOUR fault for not
reviewing the patches :)

Cheers,
mwh

--
 (Of course SML does have its weaknesses, but by comparison, a
  discussion of C++'s strengths and flaws always sounds like an