[Python-Dev] Re: Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 15:52:05 CEST 2004

Erik Heneryd wrote:
> Yes, those with older, bzip2less systems can probably figure out how to
> get it and build it, but why force them when it's practically no work
> keeping it?  It's one (sic) extra command for the release manager and
> ~9M extra disk space per release on www.python.org.

Fred wouldn't have asked if it was no effort in keeping it. There is
certainly more than one command to it - you have to md5sum the file,
and copy the md5sum into the release notes. You have to upload the file
from your workstation to python.org. I don't know how you do that, but
I need to use my DSL link for uploading the MSI files; it takes roughly
30min to upload. Fortunately, I have a DSL flatrate.

Regards,
Martin