[Python-Dev] __pycode__ extension

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 18 07:15:42 CET 2004

At 06:49 AM 11/18/04 +0200, Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>What good is that?  Likewise, I don't see the point of having this only
>>enabled when a command-line option is given.
>
>We can marshal it if we want.
>But I'm not convinced we should.

Apparently, we have different use cases for the source code.  In my use
cases, I have little use for the interactive mode or exec.  For example, in
the exec case, I would already have the source code, so why would I need it
again?

I think it's important to clarify what this is *for*, and then address
whatever that use case is directly.  So far, lots of people are projecting
their own use cases onto it, and therefore we all disagree on what the best
way to implement it is.

>  Having used this system,
>'import' is a good barrier to say "I'm not interested for
>the __pycode__ of these".

Having used it for whatever purposes *you're* using it for.  Evidently you
want to use it for something very different from what I would want it for
(source code transforms, such as AOP "advice" injection).