[Python-Dev] dateutil

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Thu Mar 11 12:54:56 EST 2004

Hello Skip!

> There is another module loose in the wild which handles recurring dates:
[...]

Being a carefully developed superset (as it offers more features and
less restrictions) of the iCal RFC regarding RRULEs, I belive you won't
find any equivalent work (in terms of speed and functionality).

>     http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/recur.py
>     http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/test_recur.py
>
> Since this is an area which has had very little attention I'd like to
> see if there are ideas in one or both modules which can be used to
> arrive at a "one true solution" to this problem.  In fact, it's a
> significant enough problem all on its own that I suspect it might be
> worth separating out from other (simpler?) date manipulations.

Every example may be easily implemented with dateutil's rrule, as the
above module is a simple implementation of interval based recurrences.
As a counter example, rrule is able to do something like:

  rrule(FREQ_YEARLY,bymonth=8,bymonthday=13,byweekday=FR)

Meaning "dates with a friday 13th in august", for example. Notice that
this is also a simple one. There are more complex ones involving
cross-year weekly periods with random week starting dates and ISO week
numbers, for example.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net