[Python-Dev] Including translated doc strings in 2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 29 16:07:28 EDT 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Martin, would you make Lib/messages or Lib/doc an importable package
> directory?  I guess that's the point of sticking it in Lib, so that it's
> easier to find via Python's import mechanism, right?

Actually, no. I'd like to stick it into Lib/somewhere, so it is easy to
locate through

os.path.join(os.path.dirname(gettext.__file__), 'messages')

Even more importantly, putting it into Lib means it is simpler to have
it installed.

If you think it helps, finding it through

import messages
messages.docstrings('de')

might be an option; messages/__init__.py would then have the proper
magic.

Regards,
Martin