[Python-Dev] Bug day outcome

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 7 01:26:50 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> The question is simply whether we'd be better running our
> own CVS (or SVN) server. The major reason to do this is that
> the SF anon CVS is awful. Truly awful. This impacts people
> who'd like to contribute, but can't get current CVS. A while
> ago, I suggested taking the tarball of the CVS root and
> putting it somewhere, then setting up 'anoncvs.python.org'
> and pointing it at this. Is this still a good idea?

It can't hurt, so if it is not too much effort, go ahead.

Unfortunately, the nightly tarballs aren't reliably produced,
either - they weren't present for the last week. So a procedure
that downloads the nightly tarball and unpacks it would have
failed most recently (my own procedure managed to overwrite
the older tarballs in the process).

However, such a procedure shares some of the problems of
anon CVS on SF: it is always behind the life CVS.

In addition, providing another place for anon CVS doesn't
solve the problems that some committers have with SF.

Regards,
Martin