[Python-Dev] Dropping decorator syntax for 2.4?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 2 20:10:03 EDT 2004

Brett Cannon wrote:
> > I just want to suggest that we put
> > this off and get 2.4 on the road without any decorator syntax at all.
> > What do people think of that?
> >

> +1 from me.
>
> While I completely understand Bob and Thomas wanting this for PyObjC and
> ctypes, respectively, I don't want to rush this.  And I don't think this
> is going to suffer from being pushed off indefinitely since enough
> people want this feature.  If you need more time to consider how Java
> handles it, then take it.  You are BDFL for a reason; your gut feeling
> tends be right in the end.

I'd like it well enough for my own code, although I don't feel the need as
keenly as others working on PyObjC or the like.  Yet I'm more concerned that
we get the right answer than that we get an answer now.

> But if you decide not to wait and put in 2.4, I'm +1 on your syntax; as
> I said before, your gut tends to be right.

I'm generally found of the C#-style syntax, but I grant that its problems in
interactive mode are awkward.  Thus, it feels a bit like the least bad
solution rather than a good solution.

Jeremy