[Python-Dev] Adding directories to configure.in for fink?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jul 16 10:20:40 CEST 2004

On 16-jul-04, at 8:03, Brett Cannon wrote:

> I discovered that when compiling for readline against a Fink install a
> warning was spit out about the lack of a function definition.  Turned
> out a function that #ifdef'ed a macro was not being triggered because
> configure.in was not catching the header file in /sw/lib for readline.
>
> Since /sw is already looked at by setup.py, is there any way to have
> configure.in do it as well so as to have some consistency?  Or is
> prepending ``LDFLAGS=/sw/lib`` the only way?  If so, does it warrant
> mentioning in the README?

Hmm.
I guess we should really be consistent about this: if we look in /sw
for setup.py I guess we should also do it for configure.

But I'm not too thrilled with fink and /sw support in general: it's
just too easy to build an executable or plugin module that doesn't work
on other machines (if you have fink stuff installed and the other
machine doesn't). And while this is uncommon on most unix machines it's
much more common on the Mac.

Could we add a configure flag --with[out]-fink that governs adding /sw
to search paths in both configure and setup.py, or is that overkill?
Goldman