[Python-Dev] Hotshot

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Jan 26 23:05:33 EST 2004

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > It seems to me it might be simpler to just write the profile file through
 > the gzip module and teach the hotshot.stats.load() function to recognize
 > such files and uncompress accordingly.

The problem with this is that the low-level log reader and writer are
in C rather than Python (using fopen(), fwrite(), etc.).  We could
probably work out a reader that gets input buffers from an arbitrary
Python file object, and maybe we could handle writing that way, but
that does change the cost of each write.  HotShot tries to compensate
for that, but it's unclear how successful that is.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation