[Python-Dev] Configure option to change Python's name?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jan 22 06:07:08 EST 2004

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> writes:

> This idea is only half-baked, so please fire away, or tell me to go
> ahead, or go hide under a stone.
>
> I would like a configure option that changes the name of "python"
> everywhere: in the executable, in the dynamic library name, the MacOSX
> framework name, etc. This would allow you to have two Pythons on a
> system that are completely 100% independent of each other.
>
> The idea was triggered by Michael Hudson, who wanted to install a
> debugging-enabled framework build of Python on MacOSX, which shouldn't
> interfere with the normal Python (either Apple-installed or
> user-installed). It turns out this is doable through meticulous
> hacking of the Makefile after configure (and, for now, ignoring the
> few hardcoded "Python.framework" references in Lib, but those need
> fixing anyway).

Can I take this to mean that you got it to work?  I've given up for
the moment on the grounds that I wanted a working Python install...

I like the idea, but I'm not sure it has applicability outside MacOS
X.  I have some configure hacks that change the name of the framework
if you combine --enable-framework and --with-pydebug, but haven't put
them to the test fullly yet.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Python enjoys making tradeoffs that drive *someone* crazy <wink>.
                                       -- Tim Peters, comp.lang.python