[Python-Dev] Unicode collation algorithm

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jan 19 09:09:51 EST 2004

WANGNICK Sebastian wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm working on a Python program to access a database of populated places in the world. This database originates from an Excel table containing Unicode place names.
>
> I'd like to present this huge list to the users properly sorted. There were plans to provide the Unicode collation algorithm back in 2002 at the EuroPython conference in Brussels, but seemingly these didn't materialize.
>
> Is anybody working on this?

There were a few attempts, but no contributions.

Since you only seem to need one collation order, I'd suggest
to normalize all Unicode strings and then write a compare
function which implements your particular collation order.

Patches for full collation support are welcome, of course :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 19 2004)