[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Bob Arnson python at bobs.org
Sun Jan 18 13:30:36 EST 2004

Sunday, January 18, 2004, 4:12:16 AM, you wrote:

> But isn't it a problem that [ProgramMenuFolder] depends on the value of
> ALLUSERS? I don't set ALLUSERS until the feature selection dialog is
> complete, so the magic computing ProgramMenuFolder certainly isn't
> invoked at the point I would show that dialog. However, a specific
> directory must be computed for the dialog to work, as the directory
> browser would have to show the existing items.

That's true. Erg...I now remember facing the same problem at work, though in this case it's to give different Start menu folders for different products. We fixed it by post-processing the different MSIs.

You can't even use a property in the Directory table DefaultDir column. I hacked the Python MSI to add a custom action to set MENUDIR and it works. So you could have a text box on the Advanced dialog that defaults to "Python 2.4" and can be overridden. Of course, then you have to worry about short file names...

--
sig://boB
http://foobob.com