[Python-Dev] python/dist/src/Lib/email/testtest_email_codecs.py, 1.4, 1.5

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 18 10:43:50 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 10:15, Aahz wrote:

> That's not the question.  IIUC, there are already some kind of CJK codecs
> available; this is a different set of codecs.  Unless these new codecs
> produce the same results, we can't afford to switch.

We're not switching codecs since 2.3 doesn't ship with either
JapaneseCodecs or CJKCodecs.  No one's proposing that 2.3 start doing
that now.

What we're doing is removing a hardcoded dependency on exactly the
JapaneseCodecs, which have to be installed separately anyway.  With
these change, an end-user could install either JapaneseCodecs or
CJKCodecs and the rest of the code would/should work without
modification.

-Barry