[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 07:32:55 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Paul Moore wrote:
>> One item I noticed with this installer (I used the build 12421, which
>> I believe is the latest) is that there is no ability to specify where
>> you want the start menu entries to go. I regularly, with Python 2.3,
>> move them from "All Programs\Python 2.3" to "All Programs\Programming
>> \Python 2.3"
>
> I don't know how to do this.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with MSI installers, so I can't
help.

> Does the current (Wise) installer offer user interface for this?

Yes, that's how I was aware of it. It gives a (fairly standard - but I
don't know if MSI based installers have it) dialog, listing the
subfolders of the start menu (Accessories, etc) and a default of
"Python 2.3". You can override this, and if you include backslashes
(as in Programming\Python 2.3) then that translates to a subfolder.
There's no GUI way of specifying a subfolder, though.

> Do you know of other .msi-based software that has that feature (and
> for which I might have the .msi package somewhere).

No, I'm afraid I don't. I tend not to be particularly aware of what
installer technology particular software uses.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank