[Python-Dev] Re: No more releases of MacPython-OS9?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Fri Jan 16 13:43:47 EST 2004

In article <B430AC58-4820-11D8-8BB4-000A958D1666 at cwi.nl>,
 Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised at the results: MacPython-OS9 is a *lot* more
> popular than I had thought.... Over the last few months I see about
> 6000 MacPython downloads per month from my site (I didn't check
> versiontracker and such, that'll be a couple hundred more, I guess)...

This may not only be people using MacOS 9. Having a carbon version of
MacPython running on MacOS X makes a certain amount of sense. The main
one being that drag-and-drop applets having an actual console window.
I've not had the nerve to ask my users to open the system console to see
results.

Also, I doubt any significant # of users are affected by this,
but....Carbon MacPython made it trivial to get to the file creation
date, and I ended up using it for processing some files. I'm sure it can
be obtained in framework MacPython, but so far haven't figured out how.

Due to these issues, I still use carbon MacPython for a fair # of my
file conversion scripts, although most of my work is done using
framework MacPython.

In any case, I'd be willing to contact VISE about a possible exception
to their licensing. Or perhaps we could work up a petition if you think
it might help.

-- Russell