[Python-Dev] No more releases of MacPython-OS9?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jan 16 07:37:10 EST 2004

On 15-jan-04, at 22:27, Aahz wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004, Jack Jansen wrote:
>>
>> 2. Buy an Installer VISE license. If I read
>> <http://www.mindvision.com/pricing.asp> correctly this would cost $500
>> per year, probably for the next 2 years. This will only happen if
>> someone else comes up with the money: I don't have it...
>
> Looks like 2.3 is the latest release currently available.  There've
> been
> a lot of bugfixes since then.  Do you have any download statistics for
> the OS9 version?  (I.e. rough idea of how many people care.)

I have now:-)

I'm a bit surprised at the results: MacPython-OS9 is a *lot* more
popular than I had thought.... Over the last few months I see about
6000 MacPython downloads per month from my site (I didn't check
versiontracker and such, that'll be a couple hundred more, I guess).
For december the breakdown is 2000 downloads for 10.2, 2000 downloads
for 10.3 and 1700 downloads for OS9. The other 300 are various things
like source and such. 10.2 downloads are slowly declining, 10.3
downloads increasing.

But the fact that 30% of the MacPython users are still downloading the
OS9 binary really surprises me...

So it seems MacPython-OS9 does have a place, still...
Goldman