[Python-Dev] Specifying Python version when running piethon benchmark

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Jan 2 11:54:26 EST 2004

    >> 800 MHz Ti PowerBook (G4), using Python from CVS, output of make
    >> (second run of two, to make sure pyo files were already generated):
    >>
    >> time python -O b.py >@out
    >>
    >> real    0m49.999s
    >> user    0m46.610s
    >> sys     0m1.030s
    >> cmp @out out
    >>
    >> The best-of-three pystone measurement is 10964.9 pystones/second.

    Michael> Bloody hell, that about what I get on my 600Mhz G3 iBook (same
    Michael> model as Dan's, sounds like).  Does your TiBook have no cache
    Michael> or a *really* slow bus or something?

The Apple System Profiler says my bus speed is 133MHz.  I have a 256K L2
cache and a 1MB L3 cache.  The machine has 1GB of RAM.

Some rather simple operations slow down considerably after the system's been
up awhile (and I do tend to leave it up for days or weeks at a time).  I
don't recall how long it had been up when I ran those tests.  I just ran
pystone again - it's been up 2 days, 19 hrs at the moment - and got
significantly better numbers:

    % python ~/src/python/head/dist/src/Lib/test/pystone.py
    Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 3.82
    This machine benchmarks at 13089 pystones/second
    % python ~/src/python/head/dist/src/Lib/test/pystone.py
    Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 3.83
    This machine benchmarks at 13054.8 pystones/second
    % python ~/src/python/head/dist/src/Lib/test/pystone.py
    Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 3.78
    This machine benchmarks at 13227.5 pystones/second

Rerunning the parrotbench code shows a decided improvement as well:

    % make
    time python -O b.py >@out

    real    0m40.018s
    user    0m38.620s