[Python-Dev] zapped several unsupported bits - now would be a good time to test

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Feb 10 18:14:56 EST 2004

Hello Martin,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:10:29PM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> and we would change configure to detect libc5 systems, and refuse
> to build on such systems (with an exit statement in configure).
> Users still wanting to build on libc5 could hack around this and
> remove the exit statement, or they would volunteer to take over
> Python-on-libc5 maintainership.

This looks like an artificial additional burden for someone who is really
trying to install a couple of things on an old machine (like I did recently)
and who only cares about Python for setting up a couple of simple things.  I
can't think of anything in the source that would prevent Python from compiling
and running smoothly on almost any version of libc -- maybe there is, but then
issue a warning if you like but just let me compile the damn thing so that I
can proceed to whatever else I was trying to compile Python for in the first
place :-)  (We both know pretty well how to compile Python, but replace
"Python" with some "libstuff" you don't know and care about but which a
program you want keep asking for, and remember all these long hours of fixing
small details to get the damn dependencies compiling.)

Armin