[Python-Dev] bug 754449 and threads raising exceptions at interpreter teardown

Brett bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 9 19:24:17 EST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett wrote:
>
>> My question is whether this is worth fixing.  Since it only occurs if
>> you don't shut down your threads it seems like it is not really a bug
>> but just unexpected behavior from not cleaning up after yourself.
>> But, as I said in my bug report post, I think it is fixable.  So is it
>> even worth fixing in some non-pretty way?
>

> IMO, any bug is worth fixing. This being free software, contributors are
> free to chose what they work on.

So you are classifying this as a bug then.  That was part of my question
since it only happens if you don't handle your threads properly (or at
least I think properly; I would assume it is common practice to close
down your threads).

> It would be much more useful if you would provide thread cancellation
> in the process :-)

For some crazy reason having to delve into the world of thread libraries
for those cases where there is not an equivalent pthread_cancel does not
sound fun.  =)

-Brett