[Python-Dev] decimal module portability to 2.3?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Aug 19 23:47:26 CEST 2004

> Batista, Facundo wrote:
>
> > Could decimal be backported to 2.3 and be included in some 2.3.5?
Don't
> know
> > if this behaviour is common to Python.

[Brett]
> That can't be done.  That would introduce new features in a bug
release
> which is a big no-no.

Right.  Though keeping it 2.3 compatible means people can download it as
a standalone module just like any other third-party module.  This worked
out well for sets.py which I've made 2.2 compatible.

By keeping decimal 2.3 compatible, folks can make periodic downloads to
take advantage of bug fixes and efforts to keep it in sync with the
on-going evolution of the spec.

Also, I'm expecting that at some point in the future, there will be a
concerted effort to improve its performance -- it runs two orders of
magnitude slower than we would like (see the telco benchmark in the
sandbox).

Raymond