[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 7 18:12:38 CEST 2004

> > > - change the language ref that talks about this to state that
> > > although Python currently doesn't use these symbols, this is not
> > > stopping a future version of Python from using them for some new
> > > feature.
> >
> > Does that really have to be stated?
>
> All that is needed is the addition of 'currently' in the sentence about
> illegality.  Compare with "The Python compiler currently generates the
> following byte code instructions. " (LibRef 18.10.1) which has the same
> word to guard against the same false presumption of stability and
> consequent complaints.

I still think it shouldn't be needed.  Do we have to add 'currently'
to every statement about the language?  That doesn't make sense.  The
reference manual's title page already includes a version number.
Shouldn't that be sufficient warning for those who want to interpret
any part of the manual as a promise for all future?

I really want to take a hard stance on this, because I believe the
only reason this came up was that someone needed to find an argument
against '@'.  I don't think their argument would have a chance in
court, so there's no reason to give in to them.

Fight the trend to add silly disclaimers everywhere!