[Python-Dev] Proposal: A more powerful alternative to ConfigParser

Dan Gass dmgass at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 11:41:22 EDT 2004

I have written a new module 'config.py' which can be used for similar
purposes as ConfigParser.  The biggest difference is that this fetches user
configured python objects.  The technique this module supports is well
thought out and provides a single solution for the simplest to the most
complex configuration problems without sacrificing ease of use and
simplicity.  For these reasons I think it should be considered for inclusion
into the Python distribution.  I work in the field of embedded software
development and find this module extremely useful for unit, integration, and
functional testing of our software as well as for controlling many other
utility scripts.

To date I have:

1) provided documentation in the module doc string
2) insured made sure module is well commented and follows the coding
guidelines
3) written a test suite to insure functionality is correct (and remains
correct)

I am willing to do further development of this module, support of the module
and take the steps necessary to  see it through the PEP process.  I am
looking for feedback on whether this module should be considered for
inclusion in the standard Python distribution as well as any technical
suggestions.  I have placed the GNU license on the module but would be more
than happy (and legally able) to relabel it with the license of your choice.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Dan Gass