[Python-Dev] slots, properties, descriptors, and pydoc

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Apr 19 00:29:57 EDT 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 11:16 pm, John Belmonte wrote:
 > My intention was to make something that can completely replace the
 > current __slots__ pattern.  Your proposal doesn't support slots that
 > don't have a docstring very naturally (you'd use slot='').

Please don't misunderstand; I wasn't making a proposal, but was just
responding to your question about what can be done.  I've no doubt something
better can be done, and if anything is done as part of stock Python, it would
need to be.

That said, docless slots would not be handled any differently with my sample
code than they are now; just name them in __slots__.  My docslots() function
was very careful not to blindly overwrite an existing __slots__.  So this:

    class Sample(object):
        __slots__ = "slot1",
        docslots(slot2="description")

would work just fine.