[Python-Dev] Enhancement to pdb in gud.el

Kevin J. Butler public-kbutler at sabaydi.com
Sat Sep 20 23:27:51 EDT 2003

> Nick Roberts wrote:
>
>>  > However, what is the fallback behavior when emacs with the new
>> gud.el  > encounters a pdb.py that doesn't have the patch?  That is,
>> will users of  > existing versions of python lose any functionality?
>>
>> The messages from clear, enable and disable will be new, so the existing
>> behaviour will hold for existing versions of python. However, the
>> message from
>> break (and tbreak) will not have changed, but the way gud.el acts on
>> it will.
>> So, break will place a breakpoint icon that clear can't remove.

>> However, these changes will go on the main trunk of the CVS version of
>> Emacs
>> which is unlikely to be released this year. Emacs development is
>> relatively
>> slow and the last non-bugfix release was Sepember 2001 (21.1). How
>> often are
>> new versions of Python released? Providing the next release of Python is
>> before that of Emacs, I dont think there's a problem.

Well, older versions of Python tend to remain in usage long after newer
versions are available - for instance, 1.5.2 is still the standard in
some places, and there is virtually no chance of patching 1.5.2 for
something like this.

It sounds like the emacs-side misbehavior will be cosmetic only, so
probably not too bad.

Brett C. wrote:
> As for this thread, is this the proper place for this?  Wouldn't on the
> python-mode mailing list
> (http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-mode) be a better place
> for Emacs-related stuff?  Or is my Vim bias influencing me too much?

I think the Vim bias has is influencing you too much.  It has been known
to do that.  ;-)  (Speaking as a recovering/apostate vi user).

I consider this more pdb-related than emacs-specific -
I'd expect that integration with, say, Eclipse would benefit from this
enhancement as well, so I've been hoping to get some feedback from the
list...

BTW, I've submitted the patch, it is 809887:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=809887&group_id=5470&atid=305470

kb