[Python-Dev] Making python C-API thread safe (try 2)

Harri Pesonen fuerte at sci.fi
Fri Sep 12 00:31:25 EDT 2003

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:16, Harri Pesonen wrote:
>

>>I'm also wondering why this problem has not been addressed before? If I
>>had the power to change Python, this would be the first thing I did.
>>

>Try coming up with a patch.  I expect it would be considered provided
>that it was maximally backwards compatible with the existing C API and
>did not reduce performance on benchmarks like pystone.

It would be totally incompatible with the existing C API. The
performance would be better.

>That is to say, sure it would be nice, but at what cost?

At cost of breaking up with the past, but eventually it has to be done.

If I had time, I would create this multithreading Python myself, call it
a different language perhaps. I don't know if the Python licence allows
this.

Harri