[Python-Dev] Re: Be Honest about LC_NUMERIC [REPOST]

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 4 19:17:34 EDT 2003

James Henstridge <james at daa.com.au> writes:

> In case it is of any help, I put together a modified version of the
> glib code that uses libpython support routines instead of glib support
> routines at:
>     http://www.gnome.org/~james/python-float-convert.c

This is indeed helpful. I like it much more than the code that is on
SF; in particular, the elimination of the table is a good thing.

> It might help people review the code, as it doesn't contain code
> irrelevant to the discussion.  The code could probably be shortened by
> removing support for hexadecimal float representation in
> ascii_strtod().

I would encourage that. There are other format characters that are not
supported either, like the POSIX ' flag. Having limitations in that
approach is fine - they just need to be documented.

Regards,
Martin