[Python-Dev] Deprecate the buffer object?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 31 09:07:28 EST 2003

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> writes:

> Michael Hudson
>
>> "Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> writes:
>>
>> > That would work, be less intrusive, and allow all existing
>> code to work
>> > unchanged.  My only concern is that it does not go anywhere
>> towards fixing
>> > the buffer interface itself.
>>
>> I think that is a different issue entirely.  While it may be
>> interesting and important, can we at least try to keep them separate?
>
> I don't see how.  The only problem I see is in the buffer interface.  We
> could worm around the buffer interface problem in the buffer object, but I
> don't see how that is keeping them separate.  Am I missing something?

Well, there are two things people complain about

a) the buffer INTERFACE
b) the buffer OBJECT

are the issues plaguing both the same?  I wasn't under the impression
they were.  It's entirely possible I'm wrong, though.

Cheers,
mwh

--
[1] If you're lost in the woods, just bury some fibre in the ground
    carrying data. Fairly soon a JCB will be along to cut it for you