[Python-Dev] accumulator display syntax

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 20 12:43:15 EDT 2003

> There's one drawback there, however...  If you're stepping through the
> listcomp generation with a debugger, you won't be able to print the current
> item in the list, as (I believe) is possible now.

Good point.  But this could be addressed in many ways; the debugger
could grow a way to quote nonstandard variable names, or it could know
about the name mapping, or we could use a different name-mangling
scheme (e.g. prefix the original name with an underscore, and
optionally append _1 or _2 etc. as needed to distinguish it from a
real local with the same name).  Or we could simply state this as a
deficiency (I'm not sure I've ever needed to debug that situation).