[Python-Dev] SRE recursion removed

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Oct 18 17:27:43 EDT 2003

Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer at conectiva.com> writes:

> Hey.. Martin, are you ok? What's going on? You're being extremelly
> aggressive without an aparent reason. I'm putting a prize on my head
> for hacking the *hairy* code in SRE and removing a serious limitation,
> and that's your reaction!? I'm disappointed.

Please accept my apologies; I don't want to diminish your efforts, and
I do appreciate them.

However, I'm concerned that track is completely lost as to how SRE
works - is it or is it not the case that the current implementation
which is in CVS is recursive, with arbitrary deep nesting? If it is
not recursive anymore (which the subject suggests), then why is the is
the 'level' argument still in? Can we or can we not remove the ad-hoc
determination of USE_RECURSION_LIMIT?

> Yeah.. I can clean it. let's please wait a little bit to
> see the new code working?

Certainly. However, I was hoping that we have better means of finding
out whether the code still does what it is supposed to do than
testing. Perhaps that is an illusion.

Regards,
Martin