[Python-Dev] Python-2.3.2 windows binary screwed

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Oct 16 02:55:47 EDT 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> writes:

> [Thomas Heller]
>> Sigh.
>>
>> The 2.3.2 windows binary contains invalid MS dlls.
>
> Oops.  Guido can tell you how anal I was about this, but I don't think it
> ever got documented.  Sorry!  It's why the Wise script has C:\Code\MSDLLs as
> a choice for where to get redistributables from.

I was probably confused because it had C:\Windows\System also ;-(.
I will change the WISE script to remove these, and update the relevant
PEPs so that this (hopefully) doesn't happen again.

>> I copied them from my system directory, instead of using those of the
>> MSVC 6 SP5 redistributables.
>
> That's a good choice.

Apparently not - they were XP specific.

>  I can't find it now, but somewhere in the MS
> gigabytes of stuff is a list of which versions of these guys are
> redistributable.  Sometimes a service pack will install one that isn't
> *generally* usable, because it relies on other stuff installed by the same
> service pack.  These oddballs often show up in security patches, where
> they're seemingly ramming out a fix as fast as possible.
>

>> Strongy affected are probably win98 and NT4 users.
>
> The happier news is that I've got 2.3.2 on two Win98SE boxes with no ill
> effects.  I keep these scrupulously up-to-date, though.

See the bug reports I mentioned to find out what happened to other
people <0.0 wink>.

Apologies to everyone suffering from my fault.

Thomas