[Python-Dev] Patches & Bug help revisited

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Fri Oct 10 16:01:08 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:29:11PM -0700, Brett C. wrote:
> Michael Bartl wrote:
>
> >I was quite wondering that no-one seemed to have a look at the patches,
> >but thought that this might be due to the pressing 2.3.2 release.
> >
> >I find patch writing rather unsatisfying if they aren't applied (or
> >rejected <wink> :)
>
> As for why no one has dealt with them, Python 2.3.2 was part of it.  The
> other issue is just people on python-dev being busy.  Beyond a handful
> of people, not everyone goes through the new patches, bugs, etc. because
> of time constraints and having to prioritize what time they have to work
> on Python.

Brett is correct.  Speaking for myself, most of my free time
has gone from working on pychecker to working on python
to working on the PSF (I'm treasurer).

> It is an unfortunate drawback of having everyone who works
> on Python be a volunteer (this can be solved if someone gave the PSF
> *tons* of money and thus could sponsor someone to work on Python full
> time, but I haven't won the lottery yet  =).

It would be even better for the PSF to win grants from other Public
Charities or government organizations.  To win grants we need to
identify grant opportunties and more importantly write proposals.

Neal